Pros & Cons Of iPhone 3G

Three publication companies have played with the Apple Inc. (NASDASQ:AAPL) iPhone 3G and have written their opinions on the pros and cons of the device.  The three companies are AllThingsD, USA Today, and The New York Times.  Here is some of the aggregated information from all three reviews:

AllThingsD: Newer, Faster, Cheaper iPhone 3G by Walt Mossberg
1.) The price for this phone is more reasonable ($199 & $299 vs. it’s $399 & $499 predecessor)
2.) The 3G “iPhone is much, much faster at fetching data over cellphone networks because it uses a speedy cellular technology”
3.) The new iPhone “mostly keeps its promises”
4.) “I found that doing email and surfing the Internet typically was between three and five times as fast using AT&T’s 3G network as it was with the older AT&T network to which the first iPhone was limited.”
5.) Louder audio capabilities
6.) Exchange ActiveSync is fully functional.  Changes made in Outlook are instantly reflected.
7.) “In my tests, in Washington and New York, I got data speeds mostly ranging between 200 and 500 kilobits per second. By comparison, the original iPhone, tested in the same spots at the same time, mostly got cellular data speeds between 70 and 150 kbps on AT&T’s old EDGE network.”
8.) AOL Radio, AIM, and Truveo work very well.
9.) App Store

1.) The battery drains quicker than the old iPhone.
2.) To use Internet on the new iPhone, AT&T has raised data plans by $10.  If you have a 2 year plan, that is an additional $240 that the user has to pay.  This contradicts the $200 savings that you get from the old iPhone.
3.) Echo effect created when using Bluetooth
4.) Built-in camera is only 2 Megapixels and video cannot be recorded.

USA Today: Apple’s new iPhone 3G: Still not perfect, but really close by Edward Baig
1.) Between visual voicemail, built-in iPod video, amazing browser, and “with GPS newly added to the mix, this handheld marvel has no equal among consumer-oriented smartphones.”
2.) “Messages and calendar entries are ‘pushed’ to the device, so they show up right away, just as they do on other computers. With your employer’s blessing, set-up is a relative cinch.”
3.) Layouts for international keyboards: ability to use finger to draw Chinese characters
4.) PowerPoint support
5.) Move or delete multiple e-mails at once.
6.) Physical appearance: similar, but a bit more curvy.
7.) GPS: “I was pretty impressed by the accuracy on the new device as I drove along in my car, searched for nearby pizza places, and requested directions.”
8.) Sound is better.
9.) Stronger parental controls.
10.) App Store

1.) No video.
2.) No Bluetooth stereo dial or dial with voice command.
3.) No access to speedier 3G in parts of editor’s New Jersey neighborhood.
4.) lacks physical keyboard.
5.) No longer receive pop-up warning to delete a movie to free up space after watching.
6.) Still no zoom or flash on camera.
7.) Only USB circuitry is supported, not FireWire.
8.) Flash, Windows Media Video, and Java is not supported when browsing the Web.
9.) No expandable memory slot.

The New York Times: For iPhone, the ‘New’ Is Relative by David Pogue
1.) “The huge, bright, touch-sensitive screen made it addictive fun to rotate, page through or magnify your photos, videos and Web pages.”
2.) Surf the Web and talk on the phone simultaneously (not offered with old phone).
3.) AT&T will expand 3G supported areas over time.
4.) “You sound crystal clear to your callers, and they sound crystal clear to you.”
5.) “The four-function calculator now turns into a scientific calculator when you rotate the phone 90 degrees.”
6.) App Store

1.) “iPhone Mania will be considerably more muted. That’s partly because the mystery is gone, partly because the AT&T service costs more and partly because there aren’t many new features in what Apple is calling the iPhone 3G.”
2.) Not many 3G network areas.
3.) “Te iPhone’s G.P.S. antenna is much too small to emulate the turn-by-turn navigation of a G.P.S. unit for a vehicle, for example.”
4.) No copy+paste.
5.) No MMS phone-to-phone photos sending.
6.) Battery Replacement = $86

Pros & Cons Of iPhone 3G Comments

1. Norm Persing says:

What is the expected time life of the iPhone battery if it is used all day and is charged all night every night?

2. steve says:

They lost me when they no longer accepted the go phone plan for the iphone. I have moved to samsung’s iphone killer.

3. Norm's friend says:

The answer your looking for is…

You are an idiot

4. kevin tong says:

My wife who usually sends email messages on her phone types with her two thumbs. this is the most comfortable for people with nails .fingers with nails make it akward for one to type as the nail touches the screen before the finger tips . what can you suggest ?

5. duh says:

its all in accuracy… or nail chopping if u r lazy

6. Courtney says:

im thinking about getin a iphone and im only 13 is it a good idea

7. To Courtney says:

No, the iPhone is only approved for ages 18+. Go spend some more time on your English homework.

8. Nick says:

why would you want an iphone at 13? you don’t need anything like that at that young of an age. i didn’t even have a phone at 13 because i didn’t need one. wait to get an iphone when you can put it to good use courtney, thats my opinion.

9. fleamarket says:

Courntey, you’re teacher would probably end up taking it away… use a notepad

10. sam says:

i’m twelve and i have an iphone
    courntey if you want an iphone i suggest you get one they are alot of fun and they turn heads and get you noticed

11. to Sam says:

why dont you just shove socks down your pants instead? it’ll cost you less.

12. Princess LA says:

leave COURTNEY alone =)

13. to courtney says:

get an ipod touch instead.

14. Ally says:

I’m fourteen…I got a touch from my mom last year for my birthday on December 18th, then my nonexistent father got my an iPhone for Christmas at the same time my mom got me ANOTHER phone…I let my older brother have the iPhone and I kept the touch and sidekick…it’s more of a buisnessy thing. So yah just get a touch.

And the person who said you turn heads and get noticed? Try walking around naked instead of making your parents shell out cash for a product that you prolly don’t even use have of the features from. I promise, you’ll get the same results.

15. kori says:

hi im kori and i am doing a project in school and i need the pros and cons of the iphones so will u guys plz leave comments on the pros and cons of the iphones

16. kori says:

hey i kori and i am doing a survey in school and i need the pros and cons of the iphone so leave the pros and cons of the iphone please.

17. Bryan says:

what the hell does it matters with age? you can have a iphone at the age of 10!

18. WTF says:

The iPhone is a commercialized piece of shit. Two of my friends have one and after two months got bored with it. Mainly they got bored with it when I could do the same things with my Blackberry, or my friends Treo. The apps are really lame and over rated. you pay, unless you’re lucky to find one for free (that’s decent), $2.99 for an app. that shows you, let’s say, where cops sit. Excuse me…duh…you can find that shit online and, oh…I don’t know…BOOKMARK it rather easily. AT&T has poor coverage in most of the mid-West and terrible reception in parts of New England. If you want to want a little play-fun pocket thing…iPhone all the way. That’s the bottom line. If you want something that can open all sorts of documents, graphs, charts, images, and video…get a Blackberry or Palm. If it’s solely fun you want…there’s LG’s and Samsung’s out there that are great and about $200 less than an iPhone.

19. WTF says:

Lastly, and I’ll get out of your hair, did any of you actually read through the iPhone OS? I admit it’s rather nice, but it’s also complicated and inter-webbed like mad. Creating apps for the iPhone is pretty easy, hell…I’ve done it for fun, but the apps, and this is what Apple doesn’t admit (although Jobs did hint at it when the 3G iPhone came out), crash/overwhelm the iPhone all the time. I’ve downloaded, deleted, opened, and sent all sort of heavy files on my phone and it’s never crashed. My friends have opened Pandora and a GPS on their iPhone and it crashes. This is due to the programming…which, as I said, is nice in some ways, but it doesn’t work well with multiple programs running.

20. kieran says:

im 13 and got an iphone 3G. its new technology, so all of you golden oldies stop hogging it for yourselves and get used to the next generation. BTW its a great phone and unless you rough it up too much you’ll be right.

21. kieran is lame..seriously says:

golden oldies? hahahaha. tell your dad to stop doing bad things to you..maybe it won’t be so ‘roughed up’

22. butters says:

The bottom line is that many of the functions are toys that can be used at youth and age, so to say that the 13 year old shouldn’t have one because she’s not old enough is bull. Apple does not care whose pockets the money comes from and it just might make some parents happy to see their kids happy. I’m 20 and have been researching the pros and cons myself and from the looks of it(and the opinion the personnel at the AT&T store) the iphone is a new technology still in the works, still flawed. On a finer point, the functions of the Blackberry and Sampsungs S700 are similar and in some cases, better. You kids, do your research, figure out what you want, and if you aren’t funding the purchase, respect those who are and do what you can to earn it.

23. bobby says:

all u guys suck i got one best shit every sept for the payt apps just jailbreak it then

24. Jayke says:

Getting the iPhone 3GS white, 32gb on the 26th of June x_X cantwait :)

25. Carrie says:

bobby, kieran, jayke, “jimbobjones”…

Seriously? You’re all just influenced by the media. People have had the technology to make touch screen electronics for a few years but didn’t know how to go about it. Apple does it a few years later, makes it shiny, and all of a sudden, it’s the best thing in the whole world. Apple’s coming out with products other companies have already come out with but because it’s Apple, it’s suddenly way better. Get real.

26. stupid kieran says:

kieran its not about the “golden oldies” hogging your precious new technology its about it being an over priced crappy phone with a bad camera, poor touch screen, and shitty service made to look fancy so stupid kids like you will make your parents spend hundreds of dollars so you can use its poor internet service even though you have a computer, take stupid pictures even though you have a camera, play games that you can play on your computer for free, and look stupid in style. half the apps you don’t even need, like stocks i bet you don’t even know what the stock market is let alone need to keep track of it. so if you want your “new technology” keep it, I’m sure most the “golden oldies” are smart enough to realize its a piece of shit and will get more use out of a cheep flip phone instead.

27. GP66 says:

Bobby, your grasp of the english language sucks, I can’t even understand what the hell you’re trying to say. Do you know what a sentence is?

28. agreed says:

29. Hash says:

Dam!! everybody is going at each other…. well in my opinion it depends on what ur wants and needs are. in my opinion n95 or even n96 is a very good phone,love every feature,and i use it daily caz that what i want. but internet is slow on it(takes long to load sites, a bit hard to navigate)….whereas the new iphone 3gs is good for that,load sites fast and thats my need for my bsns…interms of features its not up there yet as nokia or some sony ericson phones…

30. alexandramanderson says:

The new iPhone, you can talk with them maximum of 4 people at a time. If the have a camera on their phone, they can put it on speaker and face the camera toward them, so you can see their face. If you want to talk with only one person of the 4, but dont want the others to hear, but still have them on, there is a button that say “QFM”. You press that button, the otbher people/person get a signal to let them know two still be on, but they aren't being talked to. When you are done talking to the person/people, you press the button that says “BOT”. If you want that to work without any disconnections, you have to be RIGHT beside a computer or a FLNG virus cord.

31. alexandramanderson says:

32. heyheyhey says:

this iphone sound complicated for all that you should just get a regular cell. I would not recommend this to old people.

33. Celiy says:

Okay so I’ve been reading up on this, your guys’ comments are more entertaining to read then playing with my friend’s iPhone! And *thats* rather entertaining since i don’t have one. What i got out of this is that its a black hole money sucker and is just a shiny “new” way to spend more money on something you can have substitutes for… exept to those who say you have a computer, camera, etc. The way i see is it is, YES, we have all this! But its not on-the-go like the iPhone. Its not all in one place either, is it? So there’s what i see as a down side. I don’t see how (except if you are in or post college age) you need this… device! At all! Cool, new technollogy, but seems to be the brink of things breaking down the middle class’s money. Its a shame that money is too much for this thing. They lower the price on everything about $50-$200, then we’ll see if more people will have them. Because its so expensive… I think I’ll do the smarter thing and just get the iPad or iTouch and then a cell phone. :]

34. Ben williams says:

i spent a bunch of time readint that whole conversation, i wanted one, im 16, but i wasnt going to buy one until i heard some good opinions, thanks for the advice i choose not to spend that much.
    also for the people who think its not for young kids, dont fool yourself, apple has been great for mind f**king every little kid into buying their products, first the ipod then the nano then the touch, but yes in all honesty people over 18 or people who have a seriouse job shhould get it, its not for younger users, its just marketed for younger users

• steve says:

your right Ben its not about how old your are in order to own one of these phones but to come on here and tell someone to buy one because it will turn heads and get you noticed………what are we becoming,what are we teaching are kids now days. If one of my kids got on a site and wrote something like that i would take the phone away and ground them for a ….for….will for a while for sure but hey my kids were raised with the some vaules and i really don't think mine would.

35. ben williams says:

sorry for the F word yuo should delete that

36. Rhea says:

I'm on here, reading peoples comments, trying to get more information and all I'm reading is grown adults harrassing kids. Seriously? You guys need to grow up and get a life.