House Rep. Peter Hoekstra (Michigan) Twitters His Iraq Trip
House Minority Leader Peter Hoekstra (R-Michigan) landed in Iraq today on a secretive mission, but he decided to be transparent and write about it on Twitter. The mission to Iraq was led by House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio).
Hoekstra wrote the following tweets in chronological order from newest to oldest:
– Iraq! Issues! lLong term impact on containing Iran.. Need a coherent detainee strategy. Amb Crocker leaving after very successful tenure.
– Moved into green zone by helicopter Iraqi flag now over palace.Headed to new US embassy Appears calmer less chaotic than previous here.
– Just landed in Baghdad. I believe it may be first time I’ve had bb service in Iraq. 11 th trip here.
– On the way to Andrews Air Force base.12 hour flight to mid east Be back on Mon instead of tues. Votes mon. I’ll keep you posted.
– Heading to Iraq and Afghanistan weds night.I’ll update on twitter and web pg as links are available.I’ll ne [be] back in touch mid next week.
Did Hoekstra break any laws by writing about his trip? Given that he didn’t reveal anything too secretive, I highly doubt it. However the Congressional Quarterly reported that the reps were told to keep the trip to themselves. CQ knew about the trip but did not publish anything about it as they pointed out in the article.
Hoekstra emigrated from the Netherlands to Holland, Michigan, U.S. around age three. Hoekstra received his B.A. from Hope College and his MBA from The University of Michigan Ross School of Business in 1977. Hoekstra caused controversy amongst the Muslim community when he called the Islamic Society of North America a group of “radical jihadists.”
[via CNET]This article was written by Amit Chowdhry. You can follow me at @amitchowdhry or on Google+ at +AmitChowdhry