Pete Hoekstra Says He’s Not Sorry For Tweeting His Iraq Trip; Would Do It Again
You tell em’, Petey boy! Pete Hoekstra, Congressman from West Michigan said that he won’t apologize for posting tweets from Iraq. Hoekstra said that Twitter was his way of being transparent. This past weekend, Hoekstra posted the following messages on his Twitter account:
– Iraq! Issues! lLong term impact on containing Iran.. Need a coherent detainee strategy. Amb Crocker leaving after very successful tenure.
– Moved into green zone by helicopter Iraqi flag now over palace.Headed to new US embassy Appears calmer less chaotic than previous here.
– Just landed in Baghdad. I believe it may be first time I’ve had bb service in Iraq. 11 th trip here.
– On the way to Andrews Air Force base.12 hour flight to mid east Be back on Mon instead of tues. Votes mon. I’ll keep you posted.
– Heading to Iraq and Afghanistan weds night.I’ll update on twitter and web pg as links are available.I’ll ne [be] back in touch mid next week.
“I take the issue of secrecy very, very seriously,” stated Hoekstra. “I know how to do this stuff. I’ve done intel now for almost 10 years.” Hoekstra added that he did not write any more tweets after the delegation left the international Green Zone into other dangerous areas of Iraq. Plus there wasn’t much BlackBerry service there. “I didn’t Twitter that because that’s a different environment,” Hoekstra said.
Would Hoekstra do it again. He plans on it.
[via MLive]This article was written by Amit Chowdhry. You can follow me at @amitchowdhry or on Google+ at +AmitChowdhry