Former eBay CEO Meg Whitman Announces Candidacy For California Governor

meg-whitman
Back in February Meg Whitman formed an exploratory committee to become a candidate as the Governor of California. Whitman has personal wealth of $1.1 billion, made mostly through her tenure as the eBay CEO. She worked as the eBay CEO from March 1998 to November 2007. During the last presidential election, she personally endorsed John McCain. She served as the national co-chair for the McCain campaign.

Two of the biggest mistakes Whitman made while working at eBay was the acquisition of Skype and failing to compete in China. eBay is trying to sell off Skype, but is being sued by the founders of the company at the same time of patent issues. Below is an excerpt of her speech on her campaign website:

eBay was the culmination of my business career. It’s the place where I tested my years of experience and honed my leadership skills. But it was also much more.
At eBay, I helped millions of people create small businesses in the marketplace. I became intimately familiar with the challenges small businesses face in this country.

I came to understand that job creation is dependent on a fragile mix of circumstances – circumstances all too often disrupted by the intrusive hand of government.
And I came to love the inspired individual – a person set free to pursue his or her dreams by an open marketplace and a free society.

Government does not create wealth in this country – inspired individuals create wealth. Helping those people succeed on eBay was the privilege of a lifetime. My interest in public service blossomed from my years at eBay. It’s an interest that was fueled by my parents, both of whom served their country in the Pacific during World War II. And it’s an interest that was inspired by my long friendships with Mitt Romney and John McCain.

Former eBay CEO Meg Whitman Announces Candidacy For California Governor Comments

1. Name says:

This ignorant slut already set eBay on a course of self destruction and my eBay stock is in the crapper because of this bitch, now she wants to take CA down with her as well? It's the Republican way…

2. Name says:

Anyone who votes for meg whitman ought to have their head examined.
    Remember!!! She still has ebay's interests at heart!! Certainly not the people.
    She has no background what so ever.

The simply buy off any opposition.

3. Michelle says:

I also had a horrible experience with Ebay/Paypal. I was a power seller, 100% positive feedback, had been a seller for years…until Ebay one day decided to “hold” over $2000 of my money claiming I had a second (old) account on which I owed money. I didn't, they didn't belive me, they told me to prove I wasn't that person (?!), I told them to prove I was! I told them to stop (stealing) holding my money hostage, they told me they could for 180 days (it's actually in their terms of use we agree to, look it up). I waited 180 days, they wouldn't give me my money until I paid that other account, I refused, I took them to court (they say in their terms of service you can't, but the court says that's against the law), I won, I got my money. It only took me 7 months!

The point: horrific customer service; horrible management; blackmailing/extorting users and the CEO at the time, Meg Whitman, is NOW RUNNING FOR GOVERNOR OF CALIFORNIA!!!!!! I've experienced Ebay, can you imagine what she would do to the residents of California?!

4. tankgirll says:

5. Michelle says:

6. tankgirll says:

7. SierraGOP says:

Imagine Meg Whitman is interviewing a candidate to replace her as eBay CEO when she was on her way out. She asks about prior work experience, the answer is "Zero prior work experience, I've never held a job at any level in this industry." She asks how much interest, how much passion the person has for eBay, the answer is "Not much, I couldn't even bother to show up for any relevant events, conferences, tradeshows – zilch." Think Meg would hire this person?

Because that's Meg Whitman's qualification for governor of California. Zero prior work experience. She even admits her voting record is "Atrocious", and that for years she regularly skipped elections.

The GOP is poorly served by candidates like Meg Whitman. They make us look like the party where only plutocrats need apply, and where personal wealth alone, and not a proven track record of public service and genuine, principled policy advocacy, is sufficient to earn an election. With respect, Jerry Brown would be a better candidate for the GOP than Meg Whitman.