How To Use Facebook Check-In Service Facebook Places
Facebook launched a new check-in service called Facebook Places. Facebook Places is very similar to Foursquare. Currently Facebook Places in not available in most regions, but it will be soon enough. For those of you that have access to Facebook Places right now, here is a tutorial on how to use it:
1. Update the latest version of the Facebook application.
2. Click on the main menu by tapping on the thumbnails icon at the top left of the app.
3. Select “Places”
4. Tap the Check In button
5. After that, you are shown a list of nearby places.
6. You have the option of tagging friends that are with you and you can also write what you are doing.
7. Click Check-In after you are done filling in the information
8. You might see a warning that says “After you check in, friends can see where you are. You and your friends will also be able to check each other in whenever you go.”
9. You will also be able to click on Like or Comment on recent Facebook Places friends activities.
10. If a venue is not listed in Facebook Places, then you can manually add the information yourself by tapping on the + icon.
11. When you add a new place, you also have to add the name and description. After that you have to verify the location on a map.
12. If you don’t have an iPhone, you can access Facebook Places from http://touch.facebook.com
Facebook places product manager Michael Eyal Sharon graduated in the same NYU program as Foursquare founder Dennis Crowley according to BusinessInsider. Both graduated from the NYU Interactive Telecommunications Program (ITP). Crowley built his first start-up Dodgeball with his ITP classmate Alex Rainert. Rainert is currently the Foursquare head of product.This article was written by Amit Chowdhry. You can follow me at @amitchowdhry or on Google+ at +AmitChowdhry