The Top 10 Words Used In Facebook Statuses For 2010
Facebook has recorded some of the most used words in status messages over the past year. Below is a break-down of how each word in the top 10 list above was used.
1. HMU – HMU is an acronym for “hit me up.” This acronym was not used much in 2009, but it virally spread throughout summer and fall 2010. During the summer when students don’t have much to do, HMU indicates that they are bored and want to hang out.
2. World Cup – The World Cup was one of the biggest events for 2010. The start of the game and the finals had the most attention. When certain teams were playing, almost 50% of all status updates were related to it.
3. Movies – With the launch of big-hit movies this year like Inception, Alice in Wonderland, and The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, people reported their opinions on Facebook about what they thought of them.
4. iPad and iPhone 4 – These were two of the biggest hit devices of 2010.
5. Haiti – On January 12, Haiti was hit by a 7.0-magnitude earthquake. People were shocked and worried about the tense situation.
6. Justin Bieber – Many people on Facebook have the “Bieber Fever.” He was mentioned the most on September 12th when he appeared on the MTV Video Music Awards.
7. Games on Facebook – Popular gaming applications on Facebook were mentioned often. The biggest trending phase was “barn raising” when talking about Farmville.
8. Mineros/Miners – When 33 miners were trapped in Chile, it took about 69 days to rescue them. People were able to watch them get rescued live on TV. This spurred millions of status messages about the situation.
9. Airplanes – The “Airplanes” song made by B.o.B featuring Hayley Williams was very popular. People wrote the lyrics to the catchy song in their status message often.
10. 2011 – References to the year 2011 have been popular on Facebook. As the new year approaches, people are often talking about the year ahead.@amitchowdhry or on Google+ at +AmitChowdhry