YouTube’s Top 5 Channels Drive 1.5 Billion Monthly Streams
According to Nielsen, the top five YouTube channel partners drove a combined number of 1.5 billion total streams in May 2012. The top 5 channel partners include Vevo, WMG, Machinima, Fullscreen, and Maker. YouTube gives content creators tools and programs to improve skills, build audiences, and monetize videos. YouTube received 136 million unique viewers who streamed 16 billion videos during May 2012. Below are some additional bullet-points put together by Nielsen.
This article was written by Amit Chowdhry. You can follow me at @amitchowdhry or on Google+ at +AmitChowdhry
- More than half of each channel’s unique viewers were under the age of 35.
- About 1 in 6 Americans who watched online video during May 2012 streamed video on the WMG YouTube channel (almost 23 million unique viewers).
- Vevo led the top five partners in total streams (695 million), while Machinima averaged the most streams per viewer, 24 in May 2012.
- Machinima also captured the highest composition of male viewers (62.6%), while others hovered closer to a 50/50 female/male split.
- Fullscreen and Vevo skewed toward a slightly older demographic, as 15.3 and 15.7 percent of their viewers are 50 years or older, respectively.
- Maker drew 9.7 million unique viewers who averaged nearly ten streams per viewer.