Today Apple said that they are investigating claims that a woman in China was killed by electric shock when she answered a call while the device was charging. Mai Ailun, 23, lived in the western region of Xinjiang. Her sister wrote about her sister’s death on Sina Weibo, the Chinese equivalent of Twitter.
“We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter,” stated Carolyn Wu, a spokeswoman for Apple Beijing. The state news agency Xinhua said that local police confirmed that Ma died of electrocution, but they still have to verify if the phone was involved. Ma’s sister warned other people not to use their phone while it was charging and she called for Apple to offer an explanation. “What a shame, to pass away like this,” said Ma’s sister.
Even though China is Apple’s second largest market, Apple came under fire from state media this past April for arrogance and double standards. Supposedly warranties did not go far in China compared to the U.S. This forced Apple to change around their return policies in China and Apple CEO Tim Cook apologized.