Facebook Changes Around News Feed To Surface Older Stories Based On Popularity

Posted Aug 6, 2013

Today Facebook announced that they have changed around their News Feed algorithm to show older stories that people may have missed, which is getting a lot of “likes” and “comments.”  Stories that you do not scroll far enough to see on your News Feed will reappear near the top of the News Feed the next time you visit Facebook if the algorithm determines that you may be interested in the content.


This change is currently being tested with a small number of users.  The company found that with the test, pages have seen a 5% increase in the number of likes, comments, and shares.  Facebook also saw an 8% increase in likes and comments on stories that people saw from pages.

Before Facebook made this change, users read 57% of stories that appeared in their News Feeds on average and did not scroll down far enough to see the other 43%.  When the unread posts reappeared, people read 70% of the stories.

“The data suggests that this update does a better job of showing people the stories they want to see, even if they missed them the first time. For page owners, this means their most popular organic page posts have a higher chance of being shown to more people, even if they’re more than a few hours old,” stated Facebook.

Whenever you visit Facebook, there is an average of 1,500 potential stories from friends, Pages you follow, and people that you follow for you to see.  A lot of the content may not be what you care about like check-ins.  Facebook adjusts the news feed based on your feedback and how often you interact with a page and friend.

“When a user likes something, that tells News Feed that they want to see more of it; when they hide something, that tells News Feed to display less of that content in the future,” added Facebook. “This allows us to prioritize an average of 300 stories out of these 1,500 stories to show each day.”