James Holmes Sent A Notebook With Drawings Of The Attack One Week Beforehand

Posted Jul 25, 2012

According to a law enforcement source with FOX News, James Holmes mailed a notebook “full of details about how he was going to kill people” to a psychiatrist one week before the attack, but it was not discovered until this past Monday.

After the psychiatrist reported receiving a package that he believed was from the subject, police and FBI agents were called to the University of Colorado Anschutz medical campus in Aurora, Colorado.

That package end up being from someone else that was harmless.  However when the Campus Services’ mailroom was searched, another package turned up that was sent to the psychiatrist with Holmes’ name as the return address.

Another law enforcement source said that authorities got a warrant from a county judge to take the package.  When the package was opened, it revealed details about how Holmes was going to kill people.

There was even drawings about what he was going to do.  The images of the people being shot were denoted by stick figures.  The package was sitting in the mailroom since July 12th, but it was not confirmed whether the package had arrived prior to the massacre in the movie theater on Friday July 20th.  It was also unknown why the package was not actually delivered to the psychiatrist.  The FBI now has the notebook.

The intended recipient was a professor that treated patients at the psychiatry outpatient facility located in Building 500.  This is where the first suspicious package was delivered.  It was not verified whether the psychiatrist had previous contact with Holmes or not.  Holmes dropped out from the neuroscience doctoral program at the school.  Holmes studied mental health issues as part of his studies.

The FBI Denver Division did not speak about the matter because of a gag order that was issued by Arapahoe County District Judge William Sylvester.  James Holmes walked into the Century 16 movie theater on July 20th during a screening of “The Dark Knight Rises” movie.  He fired a 12-gauge shotgun at the ceiling and then aimed it at the crowd.  The crowd ran for the exits and then he switched to .40 Glock pistol and a .223 Smith & Wesson M&P semi-automatic.  The semi-automatic had a drum clip with a high-capacity.  The situation could have been a lot worse, but his gun jammed.

After the gun jammed, Holmes walked out of the theater through the emergency door he entered from.  He removed his body armor near his car and was confronted by officers that took him down.  Supposedly Holmes looked surprised at how fast the police arrived.

Before attacking the movie theater, Holmes allegedly set up a booby-trap in his apartment and left techno music blasting.  He was hoping that the diversion would occupy police and rescue personnel several miles away from the theater.  FOX News’ source learned that the door had a booby-trap and back-up system that would trigger an explosive, which was supposed to “cut in half” the first person to enter the door.

After that explosive, the flames would have likely consumed the whole apartment building and trap the other residents while they were sleeping.  Holmes’ made his first court appearance this past Monday and looked completely disoriented.  His next court appearance will be this Monday.  Holmes could potentially receive the death penalty for all of these crimes.