Kid Suing Apple For iPod Touch Lighting His Pants On Fire

Posted Mar 13, 2009

A kid from Cincinnati, Ohio is suing an Apple store in Kenwood for selling him an iPod Touch that supposedly exploded and caused his pants to catch on fire.  The lawsuit refers to the device as an “iTouch.”

The kid was at school when the incident took place and it resulted in hospital bills.  The kid is suing for other monetary losses on top of the medical bills.  The iPod Touch was in the off position and then it suddenly popped and lit his pants on fire.  He quickly ran to the bathroom and took off his pants.  Supposedly it burned through his pants pockets and melted through his nylon underwear and burned his leg.

“He continues to suffer from both physical and mental conditions which will cause him to suffer pain, mental distress, emotional distress, and otherwise for the rest of his life,” stated the lawsuit.  The kid is suing 10 of Apple’s retail employees and is seeking about $150,000 in damages.  About $75,000 for attorney fees and $75,000 in punitive damages.

[via Ars Technica]