McGraw-Hill Education acquires Area9

Posted Feb 7, 2014

McGraw-Hill Education has announced that they have acquired
Area9. Area9 is an adaptive learning company that has been partners with McGraw for a while. McGraw-Hill acquired a 20% stake in Area9 in January 2013. The acquisition covers the remaining 80% that McGraw did not already own, but the tens of the deal were undisclosed.

McGraw-Hill LearnSmart was the first collaboration between McGraw-Hill and Area9. The tool became a leading adaptive study tool for higher education upon release in 2009. LearnSmart hit 3 million total student users since launching in 2009 and added almost 1.5 million in 2013 alone. Over 2 billion questions were answered by students using LearnSmart.

“The new McGraw-Hill Education is passionate about reimagining learning, and we believe that delivering personalized experiences through adaptive technology is a key ingredient to teaching and learning success,” stated Buzz Waterhouse, president and CEO of McGraw-Hill Education. “Area9 has been instrumental to our success in becoming the leader in adaptive learning. This acquisition will allow us to accelerate our development of integrated teaching and learning experiences that help generate results for students and instructors ? and which we see as a central element in the future of education in the U.S. and across the world.”