Paul Ceglia is known for allegedly doctoring a 2003 contract with Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg according to BusinessInsider. Mr. Zuckerberg did engage with Mr. Ceglia when he was a freshman at Harvard University long before Facebook was started. However Paul Ceglia put together some documents that indicated that he should own 50% of Mark Zuckerberg’s shares in the company.
Last month Mr. Ceglia was arrested and charged in a criminal complaint with one count each of wire fraud and mail fraud. He was accused of the same crimes by a New York federal grand jury according to an indictment that was released yesterday by U.S. attorney Preet Bharara in Manhattan. Mr. Ceglia also fabricated e-mails and destroyed evidence in the case. The indictment is being used to bring Mr. Ceglia’s case to trial and each of the charges has a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison.
Mr. Ceglia pleaded not guilty last month and he will appear in Manhattan federal court on November 28th. Mr. Ceglia first filed the lawsuit against Mark Zuckerberg in 2010 and he claimed ownership of 84% in Facebook. He later reduced his demand to half of Mark Zuckerberg’s ownership in the company.
Mr. Ceglia is being represented by Dean Boland in Lakewood, Ohio. The contract case is filed under Ceglia v. Zuckerberg, 10-cv-00569, U.S. District Court, Western District of New York (Buffalo). The criminal case is filed under U.S. v. Ceglia, 12-mj-2842, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York (Manhattan).
Below is some of our previous coverage of the case:
– Zuckerberg vs. Ceglia: Facebook Releases 200 E-Mails From Harvard?s E-Mail Servers
– Paul Ceglia?s Case Against Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook Heats Up
– Paul Ceglia Says Zuckerberg Deleted E-Mails After The Lawsuit
– Paul Ceglia Now Interested In Talking To Winklevoss Twins
– Paul Ceglia To Mark Zuckerberg: ?It?s On Like Donkey Kong,? Claiming Smoking Gun Evidence Was Planted By Facebook
– Facebook Has ?Smoking Gun? Evidence That Allegedly Proves Paul Ceglia Is A Fraud
– Zuckerberg FTW! Paul Ceglia?s Lawyers Are Dropping Left and Right.
– Mark Zuckerberg Declares Under Oath That He Did Not Sign A Contract With Ceglia
– Facebook: ?Zuckerberg Denies The Allegations? That Ceglia Is Owed Equity
– Facebook Claims Ceglia?s Evidence Is ?Doctored? and ?Fabricated.?
– Potentially New Evidence In Paul Ceglia?s Lawsuit Could Be Bad News For Facebook
– Judge Sides With Mark Zuckerberg To Keep Paul Ceglia?s Lawsuit In Federal Court
– Paul Ceglia Attempts To Use Mark Zuckerberg?s New York Residence As Argument In Facebook Lawsuit
– Mark Zuckerberg Says He Does Not Owe Paul Ceglia Anything
– Paul Ceglia Files Lawsuit Against Facebook Claiming To Own 84% Of The Company