Last year Peter Hoekstra tweeted about his missions in Iraq and even said he’d do it again. This time Hoekstra has gotten more attention by comparing Twitter’s activity in Iran to when the Republicans had used Twitter to show their spite against Speaker Nancy Pelosi over the decision to adjourn Congress.
“Iranian twitter activity similar to what we did in House last year when Republicans were shut down in the House,” stated Hoekstra on Twitter. After making that odd comparison comment, lots of people chimed in to make fun of Hoekstra. Below is a list of some of the witty disses that were made. C’mon Hoekstra, you’re embarrassing some of us in Michigan with the random comparisons.
– ArjunJaikumar: “@petehoekstra i spilled some lukewarm coffee on myself just now, which is somewhat analogous to being boiled in oil.”
– luckbfern @petehoekstra I stand in solidarity with the oppressed rich white men of Repub Party in the House. #GOPfail Allah Akbar!
– chrisbaskind @petehoekstra My neighbor stopped me to talk today. Now I know what it is like to be questioned by the Basij!
– netw3rk @petehoekstra Someone walked in on me while I was in the bathroom. Reminded me of Pearl Harbor.
– MattOrtega Walked out onto Constitution Ave in D.C. and was almost hit by a taxi. Reminded me of Tienanmen Square.
– TahirDuckett @petehoekstra ran through the sprinklers this morning, claimed solidarity with victims of Hurricane Katrina
– tharodge @petehoekstra maybe now is a good time to reconsider whether you are ready for national politics?
To be fair I’ll clarify what Hoekstra meant in his tweet. His office said that he wasn’t comparing the two situations literally, but intended to talk about the benefits of technology. Given all the witty disses that were made, I’d highly recommend to everyone that has lots of followers, Think Before You Tweet!