Sony Corporation has announced a new device called “Digital Paper.” Digital Paper will appeal to a range of communities, including legal, higher education, corporations, and government agencies. The Sony Digital Paper has a 13.3-inch display that shows full screen views of letter-sized documents in the PDF format. The Digital Paper includes a stylus to easily highlight and erase text.
?This is a true replacement for the vast amounts of paper that continue to clutter many offices and institutions,? stated Bob Nell, director, Digital Paper Solutions of Sony Electronics. ?It is very easy to use and optimized for reading and annotating contracts, white papers, scholarly articles and legislation. The ?notepad? feature will have universal appeal, and notes can be shared with clients, colleagues, and co-workers. Digital Paper offers a simple, intuitive experience and gives professionals portability and flexibility coupled with the ability to wirelessly access document management solutions and other content repositories.?
Digital Paper helps organizations reduce or eliminate the costly process of printing, copying, sharing, and discarding documentations and reports. The Digital Paper costs $1,100. Below is a list of features:
– World?s thinnest, lightest body among devices with comparable screen sizes (approximately 9/32? and 12.6 oz.); slightly thicker than 30 sheets of paper
– 13.3 inch (screen size measured diagonally) electronic paper display
– High contrast display (1200 x 1600 dots), 16-level grayscale, incorporating ?E Ink Mobius? technology from E Ink Corporation
– No backlight enables text to be read clearly, even in bright sunlight
– Built-in Wi-Fi functionality allows file sharing over a wireless network
– Rechargeable thin lithium-ion battery ? up to 3 weeks use on a single charge
– AC adapter or USB rechargeable (computer-based charging)
– Storage ? approximately 2,800 PDF files; internal memory of 4 GB coupled with micro SD card slot for additional storage
– Touch panel (IR touch) compatible with electromagnetic induction-type touch pen input
– Dimensions ? Approximately 9 1/4? width by 12 1/4? height by 9/32? depth (thickness)
– Weight ? Approximately 12.6 ounces
[Source: Sony Blog]
[Image Credit: TheVerge]