- Earlier this week, Apple released iOS 13.6 with several new features. This is a review of Apple iOS 13.6 to help you decide whether to update.
Earlier this week, Apple released iOS 13.6 with several new features. This is a major point update so there is some notable features built-in. You can update to iOS 13.6 by going to the Settings app > General > Software Update. This is an Apple iOS 13.6 review to help you decide whether to update now.
What Does iOS 13.6 Include?
The iOS 13.6 update includes updates to the Health and Apple News app. Plus it also features support for Car Key, which allows you to control your car using the iPhone or the Apple Watch.
The first partner Apple is working with for the Apple Car Key is BMW. And Car Key will work on BMW models manufactured after July 1, 2020.
A “Symptoms” section was added to the Health app. This feature allows you to add symptoms of illnesses and select from options like changes in appetite, dizziness, and nausea.
And the Apple News app features the Apple News+ Audio feature to play the audio of news stories. And there is a feature to continue where you left off reading an Apple News article.
Apple is releasing a daily news audio show called Apple News Today. This is also available through the free Apple News app. The program will be hosted by Apple News editors and co-hosts Shumita Basu and Duarte Geraldino.
“Apple News showcases so much great journalism, and we’re excited to help bring it to life in new ways with Apple News+ audio stories and a new daily news show, Apple News Today,” said Apple News editor-in-chief Lauren Kern. “We also greatly value our many local news partners — our new local news feature highlights their work for readers who live, and are interested, in those communities.”
Reported Battery Draining Issue
Apple iOS 13.6 has reportedly caused battery draining issues for some users. One of the fixes around that is to Reset All Settings.
Importance Of The Update:
I would always recommend installing the latest updates in order to make sure you have the latest security updates. But in terms of the features, only minor ones were added. I regularly use Apple News so I will definitely update as I am curious about the audio news programs.
Apple iOS 13.6 Release Notes:
Here are the official notes for the update:
iOS 13.6 adds support for digital car keys, introduces audio stories in Apple News+, and contains a new symptoms category in the Health app. This release also includes bug fixes and improvements.
Digital car keys
– Unlock, lock, and start your compatible car with your iPhone
– Securely remove digital keys from a lost device via iCloud
– Share digital keys easily with iMessage
– Driver-specific profiles so you can configure shared keys for full-access or restricted driving
– Power reserve lets you unlock and start your car for up to five hours after iPhone runs out of battery
– Audio stories are professionally narrated versions of some of the best reads from Apple News+, selected and produced by the Apple News editors as part of your Apple News+ subscription
– Apple News Today is a new, free audio briefing on the day’s top stories from the Apple News editors, also available in the Podcasts app
– A new Audio tab makes it easy to find Apple News Today and Apple
News+ audio stories
– CarPlay allows you to listen to Apple News Today and Apple News+ audio stories while on the road
– Local news in your Today feed provides extensive coverage of San Francisco, the Bay Area, Los Angeles, Houston, and New York City
– More stories available from local news providers with a subscription to Apple News+
– Your daily newsletter from Apple News can now be personalized with stories that reflect your interests
– New category for symptoms in the Health app, including symptoms logged from Cycle Tracking and ECG
– Ability to log new symptoms, like fever, chills, sore throat or coughing, and share them with third-party apps
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements.
– Adds a new setting to choose if updates automatically download to your device when on Wi-Fi
– Addresses an issue that could cause apps to become unresponsive when syncing data from iCloud Drive
– Fixes an issue that could cause data roaming to appear to be disabled on eSIM even though it remained active
– Fixes an issue thats causes some phone calls from Saskatchewan to appear as originating from the United States
– Addresses an issue that could interrupt audio when making phone calls over Wi-Fi Calling
– Fixes an issues that prevented some iPhone 6S and iPhone SE devices from registering for Wi-Fi Calling
– Resolves an issue that could cause the software keyboard to appear unexpectedly when connected to certain third-party hardware keyboards
– Fixes an issue that could cause Japanese hardware keyboards to be incorrectly mapped as a U.S. keyboard
– Addresses stability issues when accessing Control Center when Assistive Touch was enabled
– Provides a mechanism for administrators to specify domains to exclude from traffic carried by always-on VPN connections