Sprint Confirms That They Are Banning Tethering Next Year

Recently without notice Sprint decided to block tethering for smartphones on their network out of the blue. And Sprint customers are furious about the changes. I read comments that some people may quit the service just because of the change. It doesn’t matter if you are on the “Everything” plan or not, tethering will no longer work for you starting in 2010.

The changes were confirmed by Sprint executive David Owens. During a virtual chat on the Sprint website, Owens also revealed that Google Android OS updates will be added to the HTC Hero and the Samsung Moment. The price of Android phones will decrease “as we see volume across the industry” according to Owens.

Sprint Confirms That They Are Banning Tethering Next Year Comments

1. Palak Desai says:

this is false!!!!!

you have it all wrong!! where are your sources?

Sprint blocked tethering for those without the “Phone as Modem” add-on…basically they blocked the free loaders

if you still have PAM in your plan, tethering will continue to work

2. Amit Chowdhry (Pulse2.com) says:

Sprint is blocking those that are using software to make their phone act as a modem. However if you are actually paying to have your phone used as a modem (tethering), then you should be okay.

3. Wojciehowicz says:

There's also a difference as to dial-up versus Sprint's data services. My Samsung still works for dial-up to dial-up ISPs. They want extra to use it to their data service, and far more than it is worth.

Sprint is about half an inch from losing my already overpriced and under-featured service.

4. andrewrich says:

Sorry guys, this one is BUSTED.

On my Palm Pre with the MyTether app, I can get online from my MacBook Pro (all other network interfaces disabled) today just like I could last week. It's hard for me to understand how this could be blocked on phones with all-inclusive data plans; the phone downloads the data and sends it to the computer, so Sprint doesn't know the difference.

5. CellPhone says:

Sorry Andre, but if you took the time to read the article you would see that it said starting 2010 you will be unable to tether, so obviously you are still going to be able to tether right now, we are still in 2009.

6. CellPhone says: