- Apple is reportedly planning to ship more than 100 million iPhone 12 units in 2020, according to supply chain sources with Digitimes
Apple is reportedly planning to ship over 100 million iPhone 12 units in 2020, according to Digitimes. Digitimes has been reliable in the past for predicting iPhone features and news.
One of the features that will drive high demand for the iPhone 12 in 2020 is 5G connectivity. Along with having 5G compatibility, the iPhone 12 is also expected to have a few design changes and some major hardware upgrades.
Digitimes’ sources also said that its forecast is based on Apple’s requests to its supply chain suppliers. This would ensure that the suppliers would be ready for another “supercycle.”
In comparison, the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro is expected to hit 80 million units in sales by the end of 2019.
Rumors about the iPhone 12 features are sparse besides 5G compatibility based on modem chips from Qualcomm. But a new time-of-flight rear sensing 3D camera for advanced augmented reality is expected.
Apple is rumored to be releasing four iPhones next year, including the iPhone 12, the iPhone 12 Pro, the iPhone 12 Pro Max, and iPhone SE 2. The Pro models are expected to have 120Hz ProMotion OLED displays and smaller notches as well.
There are already some 5G compatible devices available on the market, but 5G networks are not ubiquitous yet so there is less of a demand. And handsets with 5G compatibility are priced higher.
There are rumors that integrating 5G modems into the iPhone could drive the price up. But I would take this rumor with a grain of salt since it is still too soon to determine what the pricing would be when you consider the economies of scale.
Trending on Pulse 2.0
- How Microsoft Plans To Help Upskill 25 Million People By The End Of The Year (MSFT)
- EY Partners With Hult To Offer Free Virtual Corporate MBA For Company Employees
- Raytheon Technologies (RTX) Names Dantaya Williams As Chief Human Resources Officer
- ClickUp: $35 Million Funding And Remote Work OS Product Suite Launched