- Michael Seibel is replacing Alexis Ohanian on the board of directors. Ohanian had resigned and urged the company to find a black candidate to replace him.
Last week, Alexis Ohanian stepped down from the Reddit board of directors and suggested that a black candidate succeeds him. Reddit CEO Steve Huffman agreed to honor that request and the replacement was just named: Michael Seibel.
Seibel is a partner at Y Combinator and oversees the startup accelerator. Back in 2005, Reddit was actually funded by Y Combinator and participated in the startup accelerator program.
Prior to overseeing Y Combinator, Seibel also co-founded Justin.tv (evolved into Twitch, a social video platform acquired by Amazon for $970 million) and Socialcam (acquired by Autodesk).
“I want to thank Steve, Alexis and the entire Reddit board for this opportunity,” said Seibel. “I’ve known Steve and Alexis since 2007 and have been a Reddit user ever since. Over this period of time, I’ve watched Reddit become part of the core fabric of the internet and I’m excited to help provide advice and guidance as Reddit continues to grow and tackle the challenges of bringing community and belonging to a broader audience.”
Huffman said that Seibel is one of the smartest and kindest people in tech. And Seibel recently pledged to Black Tech for Black Lives, which is a collective of black tech entrepreneurs and investors who united to use their social, political, and economic capital for advancing the community.
Read More On Pulse 2.0:
Trending on Pulse 2.0
- How Microsoft Plans To Help Upskill 25 Million People By The End Of The Year (MSFT)
- EY Partners With Hult To Offer Free Virtual Corporate MBA For Company Employees
- Raytheon Technologies (RTX) Names Dantaya Williams As Chief Human Resources Officer
- ClickUp: $35 Million Funding And Remote Work OS Product Suite Launched