Research In Motion (RIM) announced today that the company is making some big changes in their organization, including layoffs and shuffling upper management positions.
Approximately 2,000 RIM employees from North America and a few other countries will be cut from the company.
Street Insider reports that RIM is making several management changes as well, including:
– Thorsten Heins is expanding his role of COO by taking on responsibilities in product and sales
– Patrick Spence is being named as Managing Director of Global Sales and Regional Marketing
– Robin Bienfait will remain as CIO overseeing BlackBerry Operations, Customer Service and Corporate IT functions. And she is also going to oversee the Enterprise Business Unit.
– As CTO, David Yach is also going to focus on current and future software platforms.
– Jim Rowan will also expand on his role as COO of Operations and will oversee the global supply chain and repair services
– Brian Bidulka (CFO) will work together with Jim Rowan to oversee the cost optimization program.