Michigan-based electric vehicle company Rivian Automotive has received a patent for reconfigurable electric vehicles so that it can be used for multiple purposes. The patent — which is #10,207,757 and is titled “Systems and methods for reconfigurable electric vehicles” — was filed by Rivian Automotive’s founder and CEO RJ Scaringe on January 11, 2017, and it was issued on February 19, 2019.
“The present inventor has observed a need for an electric vehicle that can be structurally and reversibly reconfigured for different types of vehicle uses such that, when outfitted with one of multiple predetermined structural configurations, the vehicle detects the particular structural configuration and automatically sets one of multiple predetermined feature sets corresponding to the particular structural configuration,” says the summary of the patent. “Such feature sets may include for example, certain suspension characteristics appropriate for the particular structural configuration of the vehicle, such as, e.g., particular settings for firmness of ride of the vehicle, braking performance/sensitivity, nominal suspension height, effective steering ratio, etc. The present inventor has determined that such technological enhancements to electric vehicles can provide for enhanced utilization of electric vehicles.”
Here are some drawings that demonstrate how Rivian’s electric vehicles could be hypothetically reconfigured:
Photos: Drawings from Rivian’s patent / Credit: Rivian Automotive
In the patent, Scaringe pointed out that conventional electric vehicles have relatively low rates of utilization and are technologically limited in different types of uses.
Rivian Automotive made a big splash when it unveiled the R1T all-electric truck and the R1S full-size SUV several months ago. These vehicles have a range of between 230 and 400 miles. And recently, Rivian announced it raised $700 million in funding led by Amazon.
Read more about Rivian on Pulse 2.0:
– Rivian Automotive: How This Startup Grew Into An Electric Vehicle Giant
– Rivian Automotive Confirms $700 Million Investment Led By Amazon
– Rivian Automotive: An Off-Road Rally Car May Be Coming Next
Trending on Pulse 2.0
- Pixellot: Automating Sports Video Production Solutions In A $15 Billion Market
- Lumber: Construction Workforce Management Platform Company Raises $5.5 Million
- Ceramic King Coatings: This Company Offers Advanced Exterior Automotive Protection Technology
- Hippocratic AI: This Company Is Building A Safety-Focused LLM To Improve Healthcare